Nature of the Course
The UPT Manufacturer Rating (SIGMA) and the USPA Tandem Instructor Rating are normally taught together in one course. USPA (and most other parachute associations) require that all Tandem Instructors must hold a manufacturer rating as well. Therefore, if you complete your UPT Manufacturer Rating with us, the USPA Tandem Instructor rating will be included at no extra cost.
The requirements for both the Manufacturers and USPA Tandem Ratings are different, so our course will cover the requirements and syllabus needed to complete both. If you are looking to complete your UPT rating only, it's no problem, we will adjust the course accordingly. If you are looking at converting either another manufacturers rating over to UPT, or another Tandem rating to USPA, please see our Licenses & Conversions Page for this process.
This course typically takes 3-4 days to complete, depending on the number of candidates and weather restrictions.
USPA Tandem Proficiency Card
On the USPA Tandem Proficiency Card, you will need to have these prerequisites signed off prior to the course by an appropriately rated instructor:
- Assisted in two tandem first-jump courses toward Category A.
- Assisted in two Category B and two Category D tandem ground preps.
- Observed ground preps in Categories B, C, E, and F.
- * Correctly taught freefall stability and basic freefall maneuvers, including freefall turns, backloops, barrel rolls, front loops, and tracking.
- * Prepared an effective canopy flight plan and provided ground-to-air instruction.
- * Participated in the spotting and aircraft lessons from Categories D-H.
- * Made 10 jumps (coach) to teach and observe basic group freefall skills.
- Demonstrated five practice tandem cutaways wearing tandem equipment and with a simulated student in the student harness in the presence of a USPA Tandem Instructor or Tandem Instructor Examiner (will be done in course as well).
* Note - all parts marked with an "*" are void if Candidate is already a USPA Instructor (AFF or AID/Static Line).
Candidates should arrive to the course with all the above listed documents in hand. The course will start at 09:00 on the first day with verification of requirements.
During the course, eah candidate must earn a score of "satisfactory" on the teaching sections and the in-air evaluation jumps. As well, a minimum score of 80% is required on the written exams.
Have a look at our Calendar for scheduled courses or take a look at our Facebook page for course events.
To sign up for a course, please register using our Course Registration Form. Upon registration, we request a non-refundable deposit of €250 to secure your space. The remainder of the course fee will be paid on the morning of the first day of the course. To see our prices, please view our Pricing page.
Please feel free to contact us! We are happy to answer any questions you may have and/or to set up a course of your own!